10 years ago, we published the book “Philippine Internet Review: 10 Years of Internet History (1994 – 2004)“. As the Internet in the Philippines celebrated its 20th year this 2014, I decided to embark on a project in updating its content reflecting on Philippine Internet timeline and developments from 2004 to 2014. Will also cover other areas that we may have missed or needs to be corrected in our first edition.
For inquiries about this module, contact Janette Toral by sending her a private message via Facebook.
- The initial content draft will be presented through a series of free webinars (schedules will be posted soon) where the videos and handouts will be posted here online. After each session, they will be posted for public review requesting for additional inputs from everyone interested to help out.
- Slidedocs will be posted to come up with an independent e-book chapter for comments.
- Sponsorship opportunities are available. Help kickstart this project today with a P500 contribution.
OUTLINE DRAFT PRESENTATION AND WEBINAR SCHEDULE
Subject to change until completed. Chapters and topics will likely be added, revised, integrated, removed. Sign-up in the form below to receive the webinar e-mail notification for all 20 topics.
- Social network timeline
- The impact of social media to Filipino businesses and Internet users.
- Timeline of blogs in the Philippines
- Bloggers and their influence.
III. Online gaming
- Filipino online gamers
- Timeline of Philippine gaming scene
- Game culture
- Rise of Filipino game developers
- Statistics on Internet usage from various sources.
- Marginalized areas.
- How the Filipino Internet User Habits are Changing.
- Internet infrastructure timeline
- Bandwidth map of the Philippines
- Making the Internet infrastructure faster, affordable, better.
- Growth expansion.
VI. Growth of Online Web Presence
- News sources
- Top Philippine Websites
- Regional websites
VII. Mobile Internet
- Mobile device and their Internet capabilities evolution
- Mobile applications timeline
- The Filipino Mobile Device User
- The future is mobile.
VIII. Online Movements and Communities
IX. Digital Advocacy and Activism
- Organizations and movements that have taken their causes online.
- Hashtag activists
- People Power: Internet users sharing how the Internet has empowered them.
X. E-Commerce in the Philippines
- E-Commerce timeline.
- Investments & Businesses going online
- Businesses going online
- Filipino Technopreneurs and Entrepreneurs
XI. Growing Markets
- Travel and Tourism
- Real Estate
XII. Banking and Payment
- Online banking timeline
- The Filipino Online Banker
- Growth of Online Payment Infrastructure
- Timeline of start-up initiatives in the Philippines
- Blazing glory: Start-ups making a dent online
- Supporting start-up growth
- Government services rendered online (timeline)
- Making E-Government a reality.
- How the Internet influenced the political scene
- Elections and the Internet
XVI. Digital Crimes and Law Enforcement
- Cases filed
- Law Enforcement dealing with cybercrime
XVII. Internet Policies
- Policies released by government agencies.
- Laws passed.
- Regulations needed.
- Movement towards Internet regulation.
XVIII. ASEAN Integration
- How will the ASEAN Integration affect Filipino Internet users and those doing business online
- Action steps
XIX. Global Challenges
- Data Privacy
- Trading regulations (including cross-border taxes)
- Outdated government policies.
- International Internet Regulations
XX. From 20 to 30 years: Moving towards 2024
- Insights on moving forward
Internet users who will be helping out in this project will become part of an “Internet Historians Community” and help in setting up a process to ensure that work will continue for #phnet30.
I am dedicating this project to aspiring Internet historians, e-commerce advocates, entrepreneurs, and students who care about documenting the evolution of the Internet in the Philippines. Thank you for the support.